The Danis Wilson Apprentice Artist Program at Sugar Creek Opera is a valuable summer intensive course that provides experience and training to talented, degreed artists who are beginning professional careers.
Since it began in 2007, the program has expanded each year, increasing both the number of participants and offerings. All Apprentice Artists gain valuable knowledge through vocal coaching (with a concentration on style, technique, breath support, languages, and dramatic interpretation), acting courses, lessons on the business of singing, and career counseling from the mainstage artists, directors, and producers who have decades of experience in the industry.
Past duties of apprentices
- Apprentice artists will play supporting roles in the mainstage opera, as available.
- Cover assignments. Some apprentice artists will be selected to cover for principals.
- Special events. Some apprentice artists will be selected to perform at outreach functions and donor events.
How Apprentice Artists Benefit
- Intense personal coaching on audition arias
- Specific scene work and roles
- Participation in master classes with guest faculty, mainstage singers and conductors
- Performance opportunities at community outreach and donor events
- Performance opportunities in the mainstage production at the summer festival
- Possible assignment to cover roles in the mainstage opera
Auditions for the apprentice program will be handled through Yaptracker.com when announced. Apprentice artists’ previous training represent some of the most prestigious music schools in the nation. Most Apprentice Artists were between 25 and 32 years of age and had already received their masters degree in voice performance. However, there is no age limit. Each of them display an exceptional level of talent and skill, bringing tremendous energy and vitality to the productions. Sugar Creek normally sees 250-300 applicants and hears 80-100 live auditions for 10-15 positions.
travel & housing
Apprentices are given free host family housing during their stay.